RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA TV) - The man who died Monday at a Rapid City apartment complex killed himself after being wounded by a private security guard, according to the Rapid City Police Department.
Anthony Valandra, 42 of Box Elder, reportedly shot a man at the Knollwood Heights Apartments on the 100 block of Surfwood Drive.
The shooting victim has not been identified. He is currently in Regional Hospital in critical condition.
Here is the following sequence of events:
• After Valandra allegedly shot the victim, he and the victim left the apartment.
• The guard, 34-year-old Trevor Lockrem of Rapid City, confronted Valandra.
• Valandra fired at Lockrem and a bystander, missing both.
• Lockrem, according to police, fired at Valandra, hitting him once.
• Valandra then walked around the corner of the complex and shot himself in the head.
• Lockrem went to Valandra, secured the suspect’s weapon and administered first aid until police arrived.
Valandra died at Regional Hospital following the shooting.
The suicide was witnessed by several apartment complex residents as well as the security guard.
Both Valandra and the shooting victim have a criminal history that includes recent drug offenses for possession of methamphetamine. A search of the apartment turned up drug paraphernalia and items consistent with the distribution of methamphetamine.