Advertisement

Daugaard says no to pursuing Medicaid expansion

(KOTA)
Published: Nov. 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard says he won't pursue an expansion of Medicaid in 2017 after a conversation with Vice President-elect Mike Pence.

The governor said Tuesday that he and Pence talked about President-elect Donald Trump's plans for repealing or reforming the Affordable Care Act.

Daugaard says the national election results mean the prospect of reforming the Medicaid program for low-income and disabled people is real.

The Republican governor had said he might propose an expansion during the 2017 legislative session.

He had previously floated a summer special session to approve it, but decided against it after hearing from lawmakers who wanted more time to study the proposal.