Save yourself time and money with a few preventative procedures.
Jammed Disposals - Prevent plugged and jammed disposals by following a few simple rules.
Things to feed your garbage disposal
1. Small pieces of food, a little at a time.
2. LOTS of warm water will wash things down.
3. Ice cubes clean it.
4. Lemon and orange peels remove odors. Remember not to overdo it!
5. Small bones will help clean it.
6. Use lots of hot water when not using your garbage disposal to help clean out drains and pipes.
Things NOT to feed your garbage disposal
1. Large bones will jam the blades.
2. Stringy material will wrap around the blades. (Like celery & pumpkin waste).
3. Flour and gummy bears will turn to cement.
4. Utensils will fall into the disposal and jam it.
5. Commercial drain cleaners may harm your disposer.
If your disposal is jammed, turn off the electricity. Use tongs or similar device to see if you can remove the item that is jamming the disposal. Some disposals have a red reset key on the under side of them. Push it in and turn on the electricity. If this doesn't do the trick, call a plumber. We're here to help you - your Action Mechanical Plumber.