Work to upgrade a Rapid City crossing will disrupt traffic for a while but according to Canadian Pacific, the end result will be better safety for traffic and pedestrians.
Upgrades will be done the at-grade public railroad crossing at 3rd Street and Omaha Street. Construction is set to begin at 7 p.m., Friday, April 11; and continue through to Monday, April 14. In order to complete this work, Omaha Street will be closed to through traffic.
Traffic will be redirected using the following routes:
- Eastbound Omaha Street traffic will use 5th Street, Saint Joseph Street, and East Boulevard.
- Westbound Omaha Street traffic will use East Boulevard, Main Street, and 3rd Street.
- Through truck traffic will use East Boulevard, New York Street, and 5th Street.
- Omaha Street business access will be maintained via 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Streets.
- Dakota Mill and Grain truck traffic is encouraged to access the facility from the west. Access will be maintained at all times.
Motorists are reminded when approaching any grade crossings:
- Always be prepared to stop when approaching train tracks.
- Do not attempt to drive around or through a crossing when the crossing safety appliances are activated.
- If a crossing has no flashing lights or gates, look both ways to ensure no trains are approaching before entering the crossing.
- It takes 1-1.5 miles for an average sized train to come to a safe and controlled stop after the brakes are applied.
- If your car stalls on the crossing tracks, get out, move off the tracks, and call 911.
- Never walk on the railroad tracks. The only legal place to cross a railroad line is at a marked grade crossing or designated pedestrian crossing.
Residents with questions or concerns can contact CP's Community Connect line at 1-800-766-7912 or by email at Community_Connect@cpr.ca. Residents can also contact or follow on twitter @CanadianPacific.