Carbon monoxide leak in used vehicle poisons Rapid City girl - KOTA Territory News

Carbon monoxide leak in used vehicle poisons Rapid City girl

Posted:

Lavita Ramirez mother of three found her nine year old daughter Leticia unconscious the back seat of her new but used vehicle. 

"It was scary. I was like oh my god what happened to her, I was freaking out," said Ramirez. 

By standers called the paramedics and the girl was rushed to the hospital.

"She was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning," said Ramirez.

After the fire department checked Ramirez's house and car, they found that she had damage to her exhaust pipe in the car she recently bought from a tow yard. The exhaust pipe was leaking carbon monoxide gas into the car.  

Leticia was treated with oxygen and is doing fine.

This type of incident can be avoided.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning is extremely dangerous; its called the silent killer," said Calen Maningas of the Rapid City Fire Department. "Cars produce a large amount carbon monoxide. The danger arises when you aren't exhausting properly or not properly maintained and serviced," he said.

Maningas says common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is drowsiness, nausea, head ache and flu like systems. 

 

 

 

 

Powered by WorldNow

518 St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701

Telephone: 605.342.2000
Fax: 605.342.7305

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - WorldNow and KOTA. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.