submitted by the Rapid City Fire Department
Around 5:40 Monday morning a fire started in the kitchen of a single family dwelling located at 926 Van Buren St. One occupant reported being alerted to the fire by waking up coughing to smoke in the residence. Smoke alarms were NOT present to alert the occupants of early onset of smoke and fire.
The occupant proceeded to wake up the remaining four people in the residence and had them evacuate to a neighbor's house. The occupant made two attempts at extinguishing the kitchen fire by running a garden hose into the residence and was unsuccessful. Upon going en route the Rapid City Fire Department was on scene within four minutes.
First arriving engine and truck companies were able to extinguish the fire and ventilate the residence reducing further damage. The occupant was transported to Rapid City Regional Hospital by RCFD Ambulance to be treated for fire and smoke related injuries. The Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance for the remaining residents. No additional occupants or emergency responders were injured during the incident.
The cause of the fire in the kitchen is being ruled as unattended cooking .
Working smoke alarms provide valuable early warning in dwellings. According to the National Fire Protection Association a smoke alarm should be installed in every level of a home. Additionally every sleeping area, hallway, and gathering room should have a smoke alarm.
According to the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition installing a fire sprinkler system along with smoke alarms can reduce the risk of death in a home fire by 82%. Home fire sprinkler can suppress a fire with in the first 3 minutes allowing additional time for occupants to escape.
Know two ways out of every structure. Have a common meeting place for you and your family and remember; once you're out, stay out. Do not try to reenter the structure for any reason.
NFPA's Characteristics of home fire victims shows that more than one of every three (36%) fatal fire victims never wakes up before being injured. More than two of every fire (43%) people injure in home fire were trying to fight the fire or rescue someone when they were injured.