Rapid Valley home heavily damaged by fire - KOTA Territory News

Update: Rapid Valley home fire likely caused by smoking materials

Posted: Updated: March 15, 2013 11:12 AM
? KOTA-TV ? KOTA-TV

UPDATE 3-15, 11:07 a.m.

Firefighters say the fast-moving fire that destroyed a Rapid Valley home Thursday morning was accidentally caused by smoking material.

Rapid Valley Fire Chief Tim Kobes says the home went up in flames after smoking material ignited on the deck.

Chief Kobes says when the owner felt the heat waves,  she opened the door to see what was happening and the fire quickly spread into the home.

**

A Rapid Valley home was heavily damaged by fire Thursday morning.

The fire was reported just after 9:20 a.m. at 2868 Shad Street.

Rapid Valley fire chief Tim Kobes he saw black smoke from his home which is three blocks away.

The back of the two-story home was fully engulfed when fire crews arrived.

One person was inside, she got out safely with no injuries.  However, three cats in the home perished in the fire.

Kobes says the fire appears to have started on the deck, but the fire chief would not say how it started.  He did say that no foul play is suspected.

A propane tank on an outdoor grill was heated by the intense flames.  It exploded, slamming into a house next door causing damage.

Firefighters say the flames were so hot that the vinyl siding melted on the house next door.

Powered by WorldNow

518 St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701

Telephone: 605.342.2000
Fax: 605.342.7305

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - WorldNow and KOTA. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.