Lube shop fire contained to one room - KOTA Territory News

Lube shop fire contained to one room

Posted:

The Rapid City Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at the McKie Ford/Rapid Lube at 509 E Omaha at 12:02 A.M. January 24, 2013. A passerby saw the smoke coming from the structure and called 911. This early notification aided the fire department in confining the fire to the room of origin, a mechanical room on the mezzanine level. The building was not equipped with fire alarms or fire sprinklers.

Upon arrival at 12:06, fire firefighters found heavy smoke and the fire was beginning to spread outside of the room. Quick action from the fire fighters and fire-resistant ceiling tiles prevented a greater loss.

Though not needed, fire fighters were prepared to protect the environment should run-off from their suppression efforts become contaminated with oil stored in the building and flow toward the nearby creek.  

The fire was unintentional. Preliminary estimates for fire loss is at least $10,000.

Powered by WorldNow

518 St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701

Telephone: 605.342.2000
Fax: 605.342.7305

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - WorldNow and KOTA. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.