Light bulb sparks Sheridan house fire - KOTA Territory News

Light bulb sparks Sheridan house fire

Posted:

The Sheridan Fire-Rescue Department responded to a reported structure fire at 735 S. Canby St just before 8:00 a.m. Wednesday morning.

On arrival, flames were observed coming from the front door and window on the street side of a single family home. Firefighters advanced 1 ¾ inch handline into the home and quickly extinguished the fire. Fire crews remained on scene for another hour extinguishing hot spots, ventilating the smoke, and protecting contents.

Fire crews used a fire hydrant at the intersection of Heald and Canby Streets to supply the fire engine. Heald Street was temporarily closed and traffic was re-routed to adjacent streets.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a light bulb in a closet that was too close to combustible materials. The heat from the light caused clothing, paper, and other materials in the closet to ignite, initiating a fire that quickly spread throughout the kitchen and living room of the home.

The home sustained heavy fire damage to the contents. Substantial heat and smoke damage was suffered throughout the remainder of the home.

The owner of the home, Michael Ryan, was able to escape the fire and called 9-1-1 from a neighbor's home. There were no injuries reported.

Sheridan Fire-Rescue was assisted by the Sheridan Police Department, Goose Valley Volunteer Fire Department and Rocky Mountain Ambulance.

 

Powered by WorldNow

518 St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701

Telephone: 605.342.2000
Fax: 605.342.7305

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - WorldNow and KOTA. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.