$3.4 Billion Indian lawsuit ends, disbursements to begin - KOTA Territory News

$3.4 Billion Indian lawsuit ends, disbursements to begin

Posted:

By Matt Volz, Associated Press

       HELENA, Mont. (AP) _ Attorneys representing hundreds of thousands of American Indians say they should start seeing the first payments of a $3.4 billion settlement with the U.S. government by year's end.
       The settlement between Native Americans across the nation and the government over more than a century's worth of squandered and mismanaged land trust royalties became final on Friday.
       The lawsuit was started by Elouise Cobell of Browning, Mont., in 1996 after the Blackfeet woman saw no accounting of the money held in trust by the government.
       Cobell died last year of cancer.
       Plaintiffs' attorneys said Monday approximately 350,000 beneficiaries should start receiving $1,000 checks as the first part of the settlement goes forward.
       Interior Secretary Ken Salazar says the settlement marks a step forward in reconciliation.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


        AP-WF-11-27-12 0032GMT

Powered by WorldNow

518 St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701

Telephone: 605.342.2000
Fax: 605.342.7305

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - WorldNow and KOTA. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.