Rapid City Police offer another option for reporting crimes

RAPID CITY, SD (KOTA TV) - You no longer need to call the police department to report a minor crime. Now, you can file your case on line.

The Rapid City Police Department is offering the ability to self-report minor crimes on their website.

"We're trying to fall in line with the digital age, the age of convenience where people can self-report," said Don Hedrick, Assistant Chief of Police, RCPD.

To file a report, visit rapidcitypolice.org and click on 'Online Crime Reporting.'

Police will review the report, and once approved the reporter will receive an email with a copy of the report. All of the information will be sent to the RCPD's records management system and receive the same attention as an officer filed report.

It is important to remember this service is for minor crimes only. You should always call 911 in an emergency.